In some cases it is necessary to restore the Project Timer data file from a backup. Project Timer automatically creates backups to minimize the change of data loss. To restore a backup, please follow the next steps:
- Open Project Timer
- Click on “Administer” to open the main screen.
- Click on “settings”
- Scroll down to the “Backups” part
- Select a backup from a moment that your datafile was still healthy
- Press Restore
When this doesn’t work, then you’ll need to do this manually:
- Close project timer completely (Right click on project-timer icon in the tray-bar and select “Close ProjectTimer”.
- Browse to your documents folder and open the ProjectTimer folder: “c:\Users\[Profile] \Documents\ProjectTimer”
- Here you’ll find the datafile “ProjectTimerData.xml” and you’ll need to remove this one (this is corrupt)
- Then find a backup file: e.g. “ProjectTimerData-20141016.bak” and make a copy of this file
- Rename the copy to “ProjectTimerData.xml”
- Restart project timer.
Possibly you’ll need to repeat the steps until you find a non-corrupt backup
You can restore a Project Timer backup file manually by the following steps:
- Make sure that Project Timer is shut down completely
- Locate the backup file This file is located at: c:\users\[account]\AppData\Roaming\ProjectTimer
(Note that AppData is a hidden folder)
- copy this file to ‘ProjectTimerData.xml’ in the same folder (overwrite the empty or corrupted file)
- Start Project Timer.