The data for Project Timer is stored in a file called ProjectTimer.xml. The default location of this file is in the My Documents folder but you can change that on Settings > General > Data file.
To backup your data, open the appropriate folder listed above or the folder you chose on the Preferences screen. Copy your ProjectTimer.xml data somewhere safe to back up. In the event of a problem, just copy that file back and start Project Timer and you will get your data back. (Project Timer also creates copies of your data and saves them daily as .bak files on the same location for even more safety)
In some cases it is necessary to restore the Project Timer data file from a backup. Project Timer automatically creates backups to minimize the change of data loss. To restore a backup, please follow the next steps:
- Open Project Timer
- Click on “Administer” to open the main screen.
- Click on “settings”
- Scroll down to the “Backups” part
- Select a backup from a moment that your datafile was still healthy
- Press Restore
When this doesn’t work, then you’ll need to do this manually:
- Close project timer completely (Right click on project-timer icon in the tray-bar and select “Close ProjectTimer”.
- Browse to your documents folder and open the ProjectTimer folder: “c:\Users\[Profile] \Documents\ProjectTimer”
- Here you’ll find the datafile “ProjectTimerData.xml” and you’ll need to remove this one (this is corrupt)
- Then find a backup file: e.g. “ProjectTimerData-20141016.bak” and make a copy of this file
- Rename the copy to “ProjectTimerData.xml”
- Restart project timer.
Possibly you’ll need to repeat the steps until you find a non-corrupt backup
You can restore a Project Timer backup file manually by the following steps:
- Make sure that Project Timer is shut down completely
- Locate the backup file This file is located at: c:\users\[account]\AppData\Roaming\ProjectTimer
(Note that AppData is a hidden folder)
- copy this file to ‘ProjectTimerData.xml’ in the same folder (overwrite the empty or corrupted file)
- Start Project Timer.